Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Farmer's Market Dinner

So I am SUPER EXCITED that it is spring and there are beautiful fresh things everywhere and I can go to the farmer's market on Saturday mornings and hang out with hippies and their surprisingly well-behaved dogs. And buy things like delicious butter lettuce and young garlic (which I totally thought was green onions until I read an article in Vegetarian Times. So THAT'S why my green onions were purple!)

Last week I accidentally let all my farmer's market produce sit unused in the refrigerator for a few days and was faced with the dilemma of needing to use ALL of it in one meal so my beautiful swiss chard and maitake mushrooms and dirt-covered carrots didn't go to waste.

The solution was a salad, a sauteed swiss chard with mushrooms and caramelized onions over cheesy polenta (Allison, you know my love for cheesy polenta!) and delicious drop biscuits with young garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. I just made a basic polenta recipe, then stirred in butter and parmesan and a splash of heavy cream at the end. The sautee is pretty self-explanatory--onions, swiss chard, mushrooms, flavored with salt and pepper and a little white wine and balsamic vinegar. Divine.

The standout was definitely the biscuits. They were SO GOOD. I ate like four of them in a sitting. I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and didn't alter anything except that I used dried buttermilk instead of fresh and substituted young garlic (apparently) for the green onions and sun-dried tomatoes for the blue cheese. Go make these. Now. You will be happy you did.

No comments: